HOW WE DO IT
ASNY MISSION STATEMENT
The Acupuncture Society of New York’s mission is to promote and protect the practice of Acupuncture and related Herbal Medicine in New York State. We fulfill our mission by:
- Educating our members through newsletters, lectures and continuing educational courses.
- Negotiating specific benefits for our members from suppliers, vendors and educators.
- Providing a consistent contact point for the press and media.
- Steering potential patients to our members through our website referral pages.
- Keeping abreast of and pro-active in NY State legislative issues.
- Participating in national conferences.
- Maintaining working relationships with other state associations and national organizations.
ASNY provides a central location to find high quality opportunities for continuing education. Schools and individual lecturers can advertise their independent events here. In addiiton, ASNY often sponsors courses, lectures and events as a NCCAOM approved CEU provider. CEU opportunities range from being open to all Licensed Acupuncturists nation-wide to member-only, free opportunities. ASNY members receive significant discounts on most CEU opportunities available.
ASNY strives to provide its members with increased knowledge and awareness of issues that are important to Licensed Acupuncturists. Communication via the website, blog, emails, newsletters, and our BaseCamp project management and communications platform are some of the ways that ASNY works to ensure its members have access to the most current information needed to practice in NYS and to be successful practitioners.
ASNY is always striving to provide value to its members. We hope to be a leading-resource for NYS Licensed Acupuncturists to build and grow their practices. Our member benefits currently include:
- Discounts to well-known vendors and suppliers.
- Discounts for many continuing education opportunities.
- Discounts for state and national events.
- Referrals to members for the public utilizing our “find an acupuncturist” tool.
- Advertising discounts for member-organized events.
- Access to job postings and career opportunities.
- 10% Discount to Atlantic Symposium
- Deep Discounts to AcuCongress Federal Advocacy Training & Fly-In
As we grow, we hope to expand our member benefits to include more practice building resources such as website development, possible student and practitioner mentoring opportunities, group discounts for personal and family healthcare insurance, and more.
ADVOCACY & LEGISLATIVE ACTIVITY
ASNY is the leading voice for Licensed Acupuncturists in the political arena of New York State. By using sophisticated technology and collaborating directly with governmental representatives and organizations, ASNY takes proactive measures to promote our profession to lawmakers by directly assisting with policy developments. ASNY also acts as front-line defenders by quickly identifying potentially damaging bills and policies and strategizing effective recourse. Through BaseCamp, ASNY provides a forum for its members to have direct involvement with these activities in an open, transparent, organized and effective manner. Because ASNY collaborates closely with other state and national acupuncture associations and organizations, ASNY is a central hub of information for professionals, members of the media, and the general public alike.
ASNY provides a central location to find high-quality opportunities for continuing education and professional development on our website. Schools and individual lecturers can advertise their independent events here. In addition, ASNY sponsors courses, lectures and events as an NCCAOM- approved provider. CEU/PDA opportunities range from being open to all Licensed Acupuncturists nation-wide to members-only deeply discounted or free opportunities. ASNY members will ALWAYS receive a discount on any educational opportunity listed on our website.
ASNY strives to provide its members with increased knowledge and awareness of issues that are important to Licensed Acupuncturists. Communication via the website, blog, emails, and newsletters are some of the ways that ASNY works to ensure its members have access to the most current information needed to successfully practice in the state of New York.
ASNY strives to be the most reflective and representative voice of LAcs in New York State. Therefore, ASNY invites and encourages its members to be actively involved through committee participation, voting for or serving as Board members, attending town halls and meetings where available and communicating frequently with the ASNY Board of Directors with questions, suggestions, and concerns regarding our profession. ASNY’s voice can only be reflective of its members if we hear from you. The ASNY Board of Directors, Executive Board, Committees, Subcommittees and their projects are all run through BaseCamp, which is accessible to all members of ASNY, allowing for real-time communication, scheduling, and progression of goals and deliverables in a transparent, collaborative forum. The following committees are open for members of ASNY to join and participate on:
- Advocacy committee: This committee is charged with monitoring legislative activity that is helpful or harmful, collaborating with lobbyists and representatives, and policy development.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee: This committee is devoted to creating equitable policy surrounding diversity and inclusion of practitioners, students and patients.
- Governance committee: Address the day-to-day operations of ASNY as a group. This committee monitors the Board and members for compliance to the bylaws as well as determines revisions needed to the bylaws when appropriate.
- Membership Committee: Monitors/analyzes membership statistics, develops membership benefits. Houses the Regional Representatives Program and drives participation in all events.
- Public Relations Committee: In charge of the media ASNY produces. Includes website content upkeep, interaction with media outlets, and newsletter/blog generation for dissemination of information.
- Fundraising Committee: Organizes fund raising events to generate income to pay for lobby efforts and the day-to-day operations of the organization.