Ethical Rule of conduct:
I agree to follow these ethical guidelines:
- Beneficence: Promote mentees’ best interests whenever possible.
- Nonmaleficence: Avoid harm to mentees (neglect, abandonment, exploitation, boundary violations).
- Autonomy: Work to strengthen mentee independence and maturity.
- Fidelity: Keep promises and remain loyal to those you mentor.
- Justice: Ensure fair and equitable treatment of all mentees (regardless of cultural differences).
- Transparency: Encourage transparency and open communication regarding expectations.
- Boundaries: Avoid potentially harmful multiple roles with mentees and discuss overlapping roles to minimize risk for exploitation or bad outcomes.
- Privacy: Protect information shared in confidence by a mentee and discuss all exceptions to privacy.
- Competence: Establish and continue developing competence.